Center of Excellence for Environment and Forest Laws
The Centre of Excellence for Environmental Law of ICFAI Law School, IFHE Hyderabad, has been founded with the objective of creating awareness about the environment degradation and protection; to ingrain the future generations with the idea of environmental protection and to train the students in a clinical way by creating a Club where they conduct the activities for the protection and upgradation of the environment. The name of the Environmental Law Club is Green Ambassadors Inspiring All (GAIA). GAIA Club has been student centric since its inception having the participation from all the batches of BBA.LLB (H) and BA.LLB (H) being supervised by a faculty coordinator. It is regulated under the aegis of the Centre of Excellence.
- Cleaning of movie towers area undertaken by the GAIA Club in collaboration with CBIT environmental wing- 6th February, 2019
- Successfully completed the second training programme on the topic Joint Forest Management: Challenges and Opportunities from 8th to 12th of July, 2019, for the senior Indian Forest Service Officers nominated by the Central Government from different States.
- Conducted GD in collaboration with the Vad Vivad the Debate Society on Amazon Forest fire- 28st August, 2019
- Conducted an awareness campaign on water conservation in Telangana Model School in Shankarpally. Students have of GAIA in collaboration with the cultural club have presented a skit on the issue of water scarcity and the need for conservation of water-21st August, 2019
- Actively taking part in the Swachchta Pakhwada, 1st-15th September, 2019. As part of the Swachchta Pakhawada following activities have been performed:
- Legal Essay competition on the topic “Single use plastic menace and water pollution”.
- Legal debate on “Economical Growth and Environmental Protection”.
- Slogan competition and poster competition on the themes water harvesting and single use plastic.
- Making eco-friendly models like dustbins and paper bags.
- To organise a symposium on “Water Resources: Sustainable Overtures” on 28th of September, 2019.
- The students club ‘GAIA’ (Environmental Club of the ICFAI Law School), collaborated with PRAVRITA, Environmental club of CBIT for 2nd version of Swachchta Abhiyan, on 5th February, 2019, cleaning of the movie towers area after the kite festival owing to the litter being created by the strewn kites. 60 students had participated from ICFAI Law School in association with CBIT Environmental Engineering Department with 28 students. The Center for Environmental Law have organized Refresher Training Course for the Indian Forest Service Officers on “Law Governing Environment Protection and Forest Conservation” to the senior forest officers, all the states of the country from July 23 – 27, 2018. And The Center for Environmental Law had received another assignment One Week Compulsory Training Course for the Indian Forest Officers on “Joint Forest Management: Challenges and Opportunities” scheduled from July 08 – 12, 2019.
- Organized One-Week Refresher Training Programme for Indian Forest Service Officers on the topic “Joint Forest Management: Challenges and opportunities” to be held from July 8-12, 2019. This is a Central Government sponsored training programme for the Indian Forest Service (IFS) Officers.
- One-Week Refresher Training Course for the Indian Forest Service Officers on “Law Governing Environment Protection and Forest Conservation” July 23-27, 2018.
- Started ‘GAIA News’, Newsletter from the GAIA (Environment Club of ICFAI Law School) in November 20, 2018.
- GAIA, Environmental Club of ICFAI Law, collaborated with PRAVRITA, Environmental club of CBIT for 2nd version of Swachchta Abhiyan, on February 5, 2019, cleaning of the movie towers area after the kite festival owing to the litter being created by the strewn kites. 60 students had participated from ICFAI Law School in association with CBIT Environmental Engineering Department with 28 students.
- Paper disposal for Washroom has been created.
- Faculty of Law Students has conducted Swach Bharath Awareness at Government Schools at Janawada and Khanapur villages.
- Students and Faculty participated in Swach Pakwada Fortnight organized by IFHE and with Shankerpally Railway Station, Shankerpally Vegetable Market Yard and Orphanages for enlightening the importance of Hygiene.
- The students has created eco-friendly dust bins and distributed to various departments of the University by using waste paper generated in the department.
- Two-day National seminar on ‘Solid Waste Management: Legal Facies’ on 5th and 6th February 2011 with the support of Quli Qutubshah Urban Development Authority, Hyderabad and the AP Pollution Control Board, Hyderabad.
Future activities of the Centre and the Club
- To have a memorandum of understanding with Environment Protection Training and Research Institute (EPTRI).
- To organise a plantation drive in Schools of Shankarpally and Donthanapally villages on the eve of Children’s day.
- To organise an international conference on Climate Change and Global Warming.
- Collaborating with an NGO named Yuvatha in the Mission-B (Books).
- Collaborating Bella India Health Care Pharmaceuticals for distribution of sanitary napkins for School children.
- To conduct a four-month certificate course on Solid Waste Management.
- Organizing an International Conference on ‘Pollution Control and Sustainable Development’, during March 6-8, 2020.